What is Fluoride and How Does it Benefit My Dental Health?
What is Fluoride?
Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral found in rocks, soil, and water. It is commonly added to toothpaste, mouthwash, and even public water supplies to improve dental health. Fluoride works by strengthening the enamel of teeth and helping to protect them from bacteria that can lead to cavities. It also helps repair damage caused by acid attacks from bacteria and sugars in the mouth, making it an effective tool for maintaining dental health.
Too much fluoride, however, can have adverse effects, such as causing white streaks or spots on teeth. Speak to your preventative dentist if you have questions about the right amount of fluoride for your needs!
The Benefits of Fluoride For Dental Health
The benefits of fluoride include the following:
- Reversing early signs of tooth decay by enhancing the rebuilding of tooth enamel.
- Protecting teeth from bacteria that can cause cavities by strengthening the enamel.
- Increasing the ability of enamel to resist acid attacks from bacteria and sugars in the mouth.
- Repairing damaged enamel by redepositing minerals onto the tooth surface.
- Helping prevent cavities in children and adults who are at higher risk of developing them, such as those with poor oral hygiene or a history of dental decay.
Common Sources of Fluoride
Fluoride-enriched water is one of the most widely known sources. This fluoridated water is added to public water supplies to improve dental health. Another common source of fluoride is certain foods such as fish and other seafood, tea, and processed foods that contain added fluoride. Additionally, products like toothpaste and mouthwash often have added fluoride and can help strengthen the enamel of teeth.
Contact Fairfield Dental Arts to schedule your dental cleaning and check-up appointment!
If you are worried about your teeth, need a cleaning, or are experiencing any dental problems, give Fairfield Dental Arts a call at (203) 254-3780. We are your family’s dentist and proudly provide expert oral care for people of all ages!
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!