Common Causes of Tooth Loss
It is normal for the tooth fairy to visit children for their baby teeth. However, it is not necessary for older people to lose their teeth. Below are some of the most common causes missing teeth.
- Diabetes: Diabetes weakens your body’s immune system. In doing so, it also promotes the formation of plaque in your mouth.
- Smoking Cigarettes and Drinking Alcohol: It is no surprise that these recreational activities are not good for your dental health. Smoking increases the odds of getting gum disease. Eventually, it can lead to tooth loss.
- Grinding Your Teeth: Grinding your teeth can damage the surrounding tissues. This causes bone loss and teeth are more likely to fall out.
- An Unhealthy Diet: Eating an unhealthy diet can reduce your mouth’s ability to fight off infections. Foods that are filled with sugar can wear away at your teeth and gums.
- Neglecting Oral Hygiene: When you do not brush twice a day and floss once a day, it can lead to the loss of teeth.
Dental implants can help you be proud of your smile again. Dr. Iaropoli specializes in dental implants. As a Prosthodontist with extensive Post-Graduate Training and Certification in Implant Dentistry, Dr. Iaropoli is highly skilled in replacing missing teeth with dental implants. Give us a call at 203-254-3780 to schedule an appointment for a consultation.
Web Source: http://www.thehealthsite.com/oral-health/top-ten-reasons-for-tooth-loss/
|Image courtesy of ponsulak, via FreeDigitalPhotos.net|