Caring For Your Teeth With Braces
October is National Orthodontic Health Month! In honor of this important observance, below are some tips on how to care for your braces.
Dental Hygiene Routine
- Brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes. Food particles are easily trapped within the wiring. If they are not properly cleaned it could lead to cavities or even destroy your braces. To avoid this scenario, we recommend brushing your teeth after every meal.
- Floss once a day. It is important to your to get underneath the wires.
- Use a small wire brush to remove excess plaque from your teeth.
- Don’t forget to use mouthwash once a day!
Eating and Drinking with Braces
- Stay away from foods that are hard, sticky or crunchy. When it comes to some of the harder healthier foods, we don’t want you to abstain just because of your braces. Try chopping them into small pieces before eating. Cooking or steaming can also help soften them in texture.
- You should not chew gum with braces on. After all, it could easily get stuck in the wires!
- Do your best to avoid food that is loaded with sugar.
- It is also a good idea to avoid drinks that can stain your teeth.
Braces can help you feel proud of your smile again. If you are interested in getting braces, turn to Fairfield Dental Arts. Dr. Iaropoli is fully trained to handle comprehensive orthodontics for the entire family. Whether you need correction of cross-bite or crowding, Dr. Iaropoli can handle all of your orthodontic needs. Call 203-254-3780 today to request an appointment and learn more about our orthodontic treatments in Fairfield, CT!
Web Source: http://www.wikihow.com/Take-Care-of-Your-Braces