Sedation Dentistry in Fairfield
Relax while on your way to a beautiful, healthy smile!
"I want to get my mouth fixed and healthy. But it’s been unhealthy for so long, I don't even know where I would start. Besides, just the thought of going through dental procedures makes me avoid the dentist like the plague."
Sound like someone you know?
Did you know that nearly half of the adult population in the US has true dental fear or dental phobia? Most commonly the result of very bad past experiences, dental phobia ranks in the top 3 phobias in adults. That is why Dr. Nill and the Fairfield Dental Arts team provide Conscious Sedation to those patients who are truly most afraid of the dentist, allowing you to relax while Dr. Nill helps you on your way to a beautiful, healthy smile.
Some of the most common dental fears that sedation dentistry can relieve are:
- Fear of embarrassment about the condition of teeth
- Fear of gagging
- Fear of injections
- Fear of not becoming numb when injected with Novocaine
- Fear of pain
- Fear of drills
- Anticipation of oral surgical procedures such as tooth extraction
Fairfield Dental Arts provides safe and simple solutions to your dental fears. We take our patients through a consultation that covers medical history, anxiety history and a discussion of patient concerns and fears. We manage patient anxiety using three methods including conscious sedation, pre-op preparation and nitrous oxide. To encourage relaxation and provide a comfortable, relaxing environment, we provide shaded eyewear and HD TVs.
How do you begin?
Taking that first step may be an overwhelming barrier. We want to eliminate your fears and remove the barriers, so to begin you can simply call us. We will discuss your wants and needs, and we can create an estimated treatment plan to reach your goals. We can also discuss how sedation dentistry works and find out if it is an ideal option for you. You may also call us at (203) 254-3780 or fill out the contact form on our home page to schedule an in-office consultation.
Conscious or Twilight Sedation
Conscious sedation is a safe, controlled and reversible option for the reduction of anxiety, memory and time perception during a procedure. Conscious sedation is best achieved when administered intravenously and produces a shallow state of sedation that allows the patient to maintain control of safety reflexive functions and cognitive response. At Fairfield Dental Arts, each of our patients receives the most safe and gentle sedation treatment options available.
What are the main advantages of Conscious Sedation?
- IV sedation tends to be the method of choice if you don't want to be aware of the procedure - you "don't want to know". The alternative is the use of oral sedation using Halcion, but oral sedation is not as reliably effective as IV sedation.
- When using IV sedation, Dr. Nill and his trained staff can accomplish much of the dentistry you need in one long appointment or a few long appointments that can last around 2 hours: yet, you will most likely feel like the appointment took only 20 minutes due to the effect of the IV medication.
- The onset of action is very rapid, and drug dosage and level of sedation can be tailored to meet the individual's needs. This is a huge advantage compared to oral sedation, where the effects can be very unreliable. IV sedation, on the other hand, is both highly effective and highly reliable.
- The maximum level of sedation which can be reached with IV is deeper than with oral or inhalation sedation.
- Can be ideal for those with a phobia of dental injections.
- Unlike General Anesthesia or Deep Sedation, conscious IV sedation doesn't really introduce any compromises per se in terms of carrying out the actual procedures, because people are conscious and they can cooperate with instructions, and there is no airway tube involved.
Is it safe?
Dr. Nill does full cardiac monitoring during Conscious Sedation. This means that your pulse rate, blood pressure, oxygen saturation, breathing rate, and carbon dioxide level are always being watched. Our office is fully supported with the required emergency equipment and with office personnel who are trained in its use. Conscious Sedation is a very safe technique and Dr. Nill upholds himself and the office to the highest standard of care while keeping you relaxed and comfortable.
It's like a magic wand you can wave, and instantly your mouth gets healthy without you even knowing you had work done. Fairfield Dental Arts has the magic wand!
Additional forms of sedation and anxiety management:
This method involves a preparatory, night-before oral medication option that promotes optimal sleep quality leading up to the procedure, which is crucial for a successful dental appointment.
Also commonly referred to as laughing gas, this method is ideal for those requiring quick recovery following a procedure. Nitrous oxide can be administered and quickly flushed out by oxygen within minutes. Following a nitrous oxide treatment, the patient will leave Fairfield Dental Arts as alert and bright-eyed as upon arrival.
Pre- and Post-Sedation Instructions
Click to download each document below for more information about sedation dentistry prodecures.